🔕 🔔

Roasting an EIGHT pound chicken

So our CSA supplies us with fabulous organic chfood ckens every week. But the size can vary a bit. And this week we got an EIGHT pound chicken and I was sondering if my technique should change at all for it?

I usually roast a pair of spatchcocked 4 to 5 pound birds on a very high heat — -about 475. (I do this because they’re relatively lean birds with very fatty skin. The high heat seems to render the fat the most thoroughly.)

Help?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked about 2 months ago

07e09beb 8885 4d0e 9ed1 1122b314e02a  12806033 10102314296907413 2194486894302090060 n
added about 2 months ago

Normally the technique won't change, just the cooking time. You should be fine to cook it on high heat, but as you probably know, just watch it, because I would assume you don't want unintentional blackened chicken. I would probably still cook it on high, then lower it, for full cooking.

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

added about 2 months ago

Thanks but with a bird that big I would think it needs a longer time and therefore either I’ll blacken the skin or dry out the outer meat. I was hoping someone had cooked a bird this big before? Or should I pretend it’s a small turkey?

added about 2 months ago

Peter - see chowhound for thread of a few people who had similar godziĺla chicken. One yes treated it like turkey.