A question about a recipe: Pasta with Slow-Cooked Cauliflower, Anchovies, and Garlic

F9db25e1 8bd8 49a5 8b8a 3619336de4b6  cauliflowerpasta

I have a question about the recipe "Pasta with Slow-Cooked Cauliflower, Anchovies, and Garlic" from Alexandra Stafford. Any problem subbing in sardines for anchovies? I sadly find myself anchovies and would rather not take a trip to the grocery store. If not sardines, any other substitution recommendations?

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked 6 months ago

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

should read, "I sadly find myself without anchovies..."

Your call.
In the comments, Alexandra Stafford responded to a similar request about substitution (smoked herrings) that their flavor might be too strong for the dish.
If you want anchovy flavor and have either Worcestershire sauce or Asian fish sauce around, use maybe 2 tsp of those.
If you want that and fish protein, add 2-3 sardines.
Or maybe just omit anchovy & its substitutes, and just enjoy the other flavors in the dish.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I often make a similar pasta (an adaptation of Zuni Cafe's broccoli and cauliflower pasta) in which I've substituted chopped oil-cured black olives instead of anchovies in that recipe and may prefer it with that substitution. Another type of olive, or less preferably capers, would also make a decent pungent and salty substitute.

Sardines, while delicious, do not have the complex flavor of anchovies. Personally, I might use a cured ripe olive.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks all - I like the idea of the cured black olives (bonus: I have olives!).

Alexandra Stafford

I agree with everyone! Thanks :)

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

In case anyone likes a good follow-up.... This was met with rave reviews by the kiddos/husband. I realized I didn't have any cured olives (pantry fail) but came back over the top at the last minute with a healthy splash of fish sauce (ah, fish sauce, is there anything you can't fix?). I used a full lb of pasta so I ended up adding closer to a cup of pasta water, added in 1/4 c increments, to really coat the noodles. I'm seriously considering ditching the overnight oats I made for breakfast in favor of the leftover pasta I brought for lunch.....

Alexandra Stafford

Wonderful to hear this! Thanks so much for the update :)