🔕 🔔

Other than their color, what if any is the difference between brown masoor dal and red masoor dal?

Are they used differently? Anything I should know? (I was at my favorite Indian grocer's last week and noticed the brown dal right next to the red dal so of course, I had to pick some up . . . . ) Thanks, PicklePals!! ;o)

I am probably going to be so completely wrong but I thought that Brown Masoor dal was red inside and that the red is just the brown with the outter skin removed.
I do know that red lentils break down faster then the others and is perfect for a creamier textured result.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

the red & brown are the same except fo the outer skin, Personally, I prefer the brown ones for the flavor & the texture. They also hold up,their shape better when cooked ( even in a pressure cooker) whereas the red ones turn mushy.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

Just to follow up . . . . I cooked some up in a saucepan with a bit of water and bay leaf, just to see what they were like before incorporating into a dish. They are almost exactly like French green (puy) lentils in size, shape and texture -- the "mouth feel" is identical -- but with the color of an ordinary brown lentil. The flavor seems to be somewhere between the two. They're delicious!! I used them in my Lentil and Sausage Soup for a Cold Winter Night, which tasted great!! ;o)