🔕 🔔

My chuck roast is tender on bottom and tough on top. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

I’ve cooked it in a kitchenaid slow cooker for roughly six hours on medium.

asked by Colton Harris 9 days ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Can you flip it over and cook a little longer to even it out?

0253b8af 02f8 492d ae2e e24f8c7b9c46  fb avatar

That’s exactly what I tried last time but it dries it out. I’ve turned up the temperature to try and Tenderize the bottom faster. The only thing I can think of is maybe I’m not putting enough liquid so that it’s cooking through the top? I want this to stop happening.

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

I’ve never had that happen and I don’t use any liquid. I do smear horseradish on the top, which not only adds incredible flavor, acts as a barrier to hold in moisture.
I hate horseradish ‘as is’ but on the roast gives an amazing flavor!
Also I add carrots and onions and place them under the roast, cover and do not open the lid until it’s done.

I always cook the 'fatter' side on top. Plus I 'baste' it a few times during cooking.