Why isn't my slow cooker pork tender

I've been slow cooking it for eight hours in a crock pot, but it's not pullable, let alone fall apart tender. What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

asked by Aidan 11 months ago

MMH
MMH

What cut are you using?

Aidan

Bone in shoulder

Did you add any liquid?

Aidan

Yes I added some stock.

Hmm, bone-in pork sholderfor shredding is ideal so it could be saved for sure.

I would make sure the slow cooker is working properly. Place pork in slow cooker, fat side up). If its a huge roast try cutting it in half. I guess it needs more time to cook or the temperature isn't reaching at least 190 to heat properly.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Cuts like pork shoulder are tough tough tough until the very last minute when they're ready...so time is not really an appropriate measure. 8 hours seems like enough, but for something like pork shoulder, its possible thats its not. I would just keep cooking it until you like the texture. It could literally be 5 minutes....or it could be another hour. Its impossible to know ahead of time.

What I generally do with long roasts and braises, especially if I need them to be ready at a certain time or I have company, is I will cook them ahead of time and reheat when I'm ready to eat. There's literally no diminishment in quality or texture and its easy. I will braise/roast, usually the night before, then I will cool it, wrap the meat in foil and keep the braising liquid separate in another container. Then, an hour or so before eatin' time, I'll put the roast back in a low oven (covered) and let it just heat through.

Your other option is to cook the roast early, and just cover it (or keep it in a low oven) until serving time. With something that just needs to cook until its done, it's difficult to budget time and then expect the meat to adhere to your schedule.