🔕 🔔

Making Lox

Hi all,

I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own lox but I feel like the results are bound to be disappointing without a cold smoker which is not an option in my little apartment. I was just wondering if anyone here has made it with curing salt (maybe smoked curing salt) and how it compared to (bagel) store bought. Thanks!

asked by GourMel 28 days ago

C2d97ab1 c2d2 4bd9 9295 fd6fc285dc98  sg headshot oct 2007

You might want to start by trying to make gravlax. Food52's has recipes! Magnus Nilsson's Gravlax, and others. There are so many fun videos too (I don't see videos on Food52) from very simple to more involved (Chef Eric Gravlax)---but still simple enough, just with more ingredients. Once you land on a video, they roll on to the next and the next and then next, so you can see how a variety of people make it. I make it often. Once you have tried it a few times, you'll be able to figure out your preferences. Good luck!!