safe to eat cured salmon?

i made beet-cured salmon about a month ago (shredded beets, salt, sugar, spices, vodka) and froze the leftovers. i just defrosted it and want to make sure it is okay to eat, on account of its still technically raw, as opposed to smoked salmon which is cooked. i got the fish from a fish monger who i trust and use often, cured it for about a day before i ate it (delicious) and froze the rest but now that its defrosted am i okay to eat it as is?

asked by CanadaDan almost 4 years ago

bamcnamara

I'm not an expert...but I would say if you cured it correctly it should be ok. I will be following to hear what others day. It sounds delicious...good luck!!!

http://www.fda.gov/Food...

If I'm reading this guide correctly, yes, your cured salmon should be safe to eat. In fact it might be safer than fresh, but not sure if the texture & flavor will suffer in the freezing and then thawing process.

LE BEC FIN

Sounds like you made gravlax, which I have often frozen and defrosted w/o any bad effects in flavor or texture. BTW, it is easier to slice THINLY when it is still half frozen.

Windischgirl

Like Bec says, it sounds like you made gravlax....and the recipes I've seen all call for freezing the fish before curing. So you should be fine. Sounds yum!

CanadaDan

Yup don't know why I forgot it was called gravlax. For anyone who cares we didn't die...or get sick so thanks for the advice! Happy to share the recipe with anyone who cares

bigpan

I have been eating fresh and frozen salmon (eg - gravlax) for over 50 years with no problems!