meatballs

When pan frying meatballs they always stick. Always. I have used cast iron, non stick and copper. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

asked by Holly 6 months ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Are you heating the pan and oil before putting the meatballs in? The pan needs to be nice and hot. Meat shouldn't be ice cold either.

Holly

Hi- yes, I get the pan and oil very hot. Meat may be too cold, but by the time I get to the last round they wouldn't be too cold and they usually still stick... Thought next time of maybe baking them for a bit first? They often just end up misshapen and black on the outside to be cooked on the inside.

A work-around.
Bake the meat first as a meatloaf, then cut in smallish pieces and add to your sauce.
Not exactly meatballs, but this method will give you cooked insides and not-charred outside.

Holly

Thanks!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I find baking is a lot easier and consistent. They only time I would fry is if I do a quick fry and toss them in pasta sauce to finish cooking. Frying is a bit of a pain anyway. Maybe someone else here can provide a better answer to why they stick. Maybe you are turning them too soon. Once they brown they should release.

Holly

Thanks!

Dina

Yeah, I've been making meatballs for a couple of decades, and I just bake them at 350 for about 35-45 minutes before adding them to my sauce and letting them finish up in there.

Dina

I should add, they are always cooked when they come out of the oven, but I add them to the sauce to let everything hang out and share flavors for awhile.

You need the oil to be fairly deep, so that the meatballs will be partially floating in it- this not only will prevent sticking, it will keep you "balls" from flattening into squiggets. And the oil does need to be pretty hot- you need to boil off any surface moisture before it reaches the pan.

It's also a good idea to roll them in flour, bread crumbs or the like before frying- many recipes call for this. And you could, of course, use a non stick or well seasoned cast iron pan.

I agree with Smaug about rolling them lightly with flour. I have found this helps tremendously to keep them from sticking and adds a light crust.

Summer of Eggplant

Do the meatballs have enough fat in them? I made some yesterday and I usually add some diced bacon or pancetta in with the ground pork and beef. I also roll them in flour as mentioned previously. No sticking.

MMH
MMH

We like a lamb meatball recipe broiled under the broiler.