A question about a recipe: Jennie's Homemade Manicotti

I have a question about the recipe "Jennie's Homemade Manicotti" from Jennifer Perillo. Is there anything useful one can do with the liquid (whey) left over after scooping out the ricotta curds? It seems a shame to waste it.

• Posted by: Peanut
  • March 4, 2011
59080e92 dea1 48a8 a507 a3ba90284220  manicotto
Recipe question for: Jennie's Homemade Manicotti

aargersi March 4, 2011

here is an idea from Lapadia, if you search whey on this site a few things come up ...

CRussell
CRussell March 13, 2011

For me, I have used it in soup or bread, soaked beans with it, and fed it to my dog.

Peanut
Peanut March 14, 2011

Cauner, I've never heard of mixing dairy with beans. Do you mean pre-soak the beans in the whey instead of water, or use the whey as cooking liquid and then eat it along with the beans?

CRussell
CRussell March 14, 2011

I should have been more specific, sorry! I just add a few tablespoons to the water when I soak the beans overnight. And I also remember reading you can water certain houseplants with it but not sure which ones because I don't have any indoors. I need to come up with a few more uses myself, since I have some in the fridge right now and there's only so much I trust my dog to ingest at a time!