Please share your recommendations. for countertop appliances that will substitute for a gas range.

Gas in our building will be shut off for 10-12 months, and I'm looking for workarounds that should satisfy most residents, not just myself First thought is burners and convection oven. Other ideas? Any recommendations or warnings for specific brands or models? Many thanks.

asked by Elizabethdx 5 months ago

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

An electric skillet! They provide really nice even heat, which is something that you probably won't get from portable electric burners. I'd use the burner for boiling water for pasta, big pots of stew, etc. but the skillet for any frying or sauteeing. I use mine all the time even with a working gas stove, for cooking on the porch in the summer and making pancakes at the table.

Elizabethdx

Thank you! That sounds like a wonderful idea. Is there a brand you like?

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

The one I use is 30+ years old (from my husband's grandmother) so there are probably reviews and roundups online that are more informative than I could be :) I know there ARE decent ones in modern production, since I know other people who have new ones they like.

The Breville Toaster Oven. Many counter-top models and features to choose from or an induction hot plate.

I love my Breville Smart oven, and there are different sizes and newer features than when I got mine. Supposedly big enough to roast a chicken (though I have not used it for that). It can bake a cake, biscuits, cookies, toast bread and bagels of course, it has a convection option, you can switch between C and F. Good capacity, I use it all year round, and it's a lifesaver in the summer when I don't want to heat up the kitchen.

The biggest one can bake a huge pizza, turkey, 9 x 12 casserole and roast. very cool!

If you're a tea or coffee drinker you may want an electric kettle or urn, or an induction hot plate (do they make doubles?).

Elizabethdx

Thanks for the excellent suggestions! The Breville it will be, and now I'm looking at a cassette feu, too.

JP
JP

Induction cook tops/individual "burners". I use them in our gazebo. Slow cooker. Toaster oven (Costco used to have an inexpensive one that we sent to college with our daughter.)

spiffypaws

Get an induction burner; they are fabulous!

Exbruxelles

I agree. I just participated in a cooking contest and we all used induction burners...they worked as well as my induction cooktop at home. A couple of those and a convection oven and you're good to go.