🔕 🔔

Please explain how prawns and mint complement each other.

asked by Jonash Quilacio 8 days ago

I've only ever had the two in Vietnamese summer rolls or Vietnamese prawn salad (goi tom). The mint, in addition cooling, brings out the sweetness of the prawn meat. That's the best way I can describe it.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Sounds like a need for the Flavor Bible. Check it out at the library or bookstore.

I don't think they do, in general. However if the shrimp are in a spicy Asian preparation, I think the mint acts to cool down the heat.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Depends how you're using them. I've made several Vietnamese recipes - e.g., rice noodle salads with prawns/shrimp - where it's not just about the prawns and mint. Rather, it's the balance of sweet, salty (fish sauce,) tart (lime,) spicy (chilis) and the herbal cooling effect of mint and/or cilantro. There's a magic that happens when they all get together.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

This exactly right. It's present in Asian cooking. Umami