🔕 🔔

Cast iron pot why dose my food turn gray

asked by Josh Estes about 1 month ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar
added about 1 month ago

If you're cooking with acids (tomatoes and wine being the most likely) the acid will react chemically with the cast iron; I'm not sure if this will turn food grey, having been warned against it early in life, but it seems a good possibility. Also acids can turn some foods grey without the cast iron- green beans are the only one that springs to mind, but there are quite a few others.

08ad0c7b 1839 44aa ba38 114e47ff3de0  screen shot 2017 04 21 at 8.59.04 pm
added about 1 month ago

Is the pot seasoned well with oil? I once left my cast iron pan in the oven waaaay too long trying to season it, all of the oil burned off, and the whole pan turned silver. I salvaged the pan, but the lack of oil/seasoning might impart some grey/silverish color to your food? But, Smaug's answer about using acid in the pan might also be the issue?