The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Can u cook on a flat top electric stove with cast iron pots?

asked by XXX-XXX-2777 over 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Definitely yes if it's enameled. I was extra cautious with the non-enameled type because I was afraid of scratching the surface, but I know others have used regular cast iron with no problem. There's a whole discussion about it in a thread from last year here: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Some people say not, but I've had two glass-top stoves, and I had no problem with my cast iron, even with the uneven surface of a Swedish pancake pan.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I use cast iron on my glass top, and have not had any trouble. I just take care when I set it down and don't slide it around. Glass is higher than iron on the Mohs scale of hardness, so in theory the glass would scratch the iron, not vice versa.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

I use cast iron on my glass cook top stove, and I too have not had any problems. I just try to be very careful and aware when I am lifting it up or setting it down. So far there are no scratches on the pot or the stove.