I'm struggling to season my Staub cast iron!

Hi all,
I have two Staub cast iron pots, and I love them. The only thing is that I am having trouble with seasoning. I know that Staub says that you don't have to reseason their cast iron, but things are sticking and it looks and feels to me like the coating is gone. After I wash the pots, I rub a little bit of olive oil on the bottoms, but it's not a long-term solution. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lila
  • Posted by: Lila
  • March 16, 2021

Food52-Community March 17, 2021
Hi Lila, thanks so much for your question. Just wanted to jump in here—because Staub cast iron is enameled, it's true that you don't need to season it like you would with traditional cast iron. Also, because this cookware doesn't have a nonstick surface, sticking can happen. We generally find that the best way to avoid sticking is to preheat the pan and be sure you've added enough fat before adding your ingredients. Curious about the interior of your cookware, though—is it chipping? If you'd like us to take a look, you're more than welcome to write [email protected] We'll do our best to help!

gandalf March 16, 2021
If you wish to re-season your cast iron pots, I have a couple of suggestions (which are based on an instruction sheet set to me when I purchased a cast-iron skillet from Smithey Ironware Company):

(1) Preheat your oven to 450F; apply a thin sheen of oil with a high smoke point (canola, vegetable, grape seed, or even lard) to the entire surface of your cast-iron cookware; heat it in the oven for an hour, then turn off the stove and allow the cast-iron cookware to cool down.

(2) Heat your cast-iron cookware on a stovetop at high heat; once you see smoke, apply a thin sheen of oil with a high smoke point to the cooking surface with a paper towel (but be careful, as the surface will be very hot); after a few minutes, the cooking surface will darken; turn off he heat and allow the cast-iron cookware to cool down.

(3) Turn your broiler on high; apply a thin sheen of oil with a high smoke point to the cooking surface of your cast-iron cookware with a paper towel; place your cast-iron cookware under the broiler for 7-10 minutes or until the cookware darkens; remove carefully and allow to cool down.

Be sure that when you clean your cast-iron cookware, you use warm soapy water (not a dishwasher); then dry it. You can at this point, if you wish, put a thin sheen of oil with a high smoke point to the surface.

Lila March 16, 2021
Thank you! How many times in a row do you season?

gandalf March 16, 2021
The instructions that came with my cast-iron skillet do not state that multiple applications are necessary. So, I would do it once and see how it works; after that, you can decide whether more re-seasoning is necessary.