How long can you keep black peppercorns?

Want to add to my grinders ..probably a few years old. Should I pitch?

asked by Picholine 8 months ago

They are very stable, but "probably a few years old" sounds a lot like they may have come over on the Mayflower; they've likely lost some flavor. You could try crushing a few and see what you think, but if cost isn't a problem I'd get some new ones.

Agree. Crush a few and see.
FYI, Stilltasty recommends 4 years storage for best flavor, but says ok after that.
From memory, were they that old?

Picholine

Thanks

I wouldn't pitch it. I have black peppercorns that are several years old and they are still flavorful. But agree that grind a few and see if the flavor hasn't gone off (I don't think it has but better to be on the safe side).

I most likely wouldn't either, but I still think it's good advice for someone unsure of their ground.

Picholine

Thanks