low-salt or salt-free sub for pancetta/sausage

Hi Food52ers, My mother is on a very, very salt restricted diet. (She's 93 with congestive heart disease) Several of her favorite dishes use pancetta or pork sausage and without them, they sort of lack. (For instance the great Rancho Gordo recipe for shrimp on top of beans, sausage and arugula - it's sad without sausage) What can I sub in to give the same richness and depth of flavor but without any added salt? Happily she does not have to watch her cholesterol, and she is not a vegetarian. Thanks so much!!

asked by tammany 4 months ago

Community Editor at Food52

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to this yet tammany, I'm commenting in hopes that bumping it back up to the top gets some more eyes on it!