Brown gravy for rib roast

I want to make a classic brown gravy to serve with my rib roast and mashed potatoes. I use the Serious Eats' method to cook the roast (reverse sear) and have found I don't get much in terms of drippings; there is enough fat left in the pan, but little else. What do you recommend I do to ensure a flavorful brown gravy? I was thinking about cutting a sliver of meat from the roast, cutting it into pieces, and spreading it on the bottom of the pan to get some beefy flavor. Suggestions? Thanks so much.

asked by Sam 8 months ago

Liz D

Or brown those pieces in a pan on the stove, I think you'd have a little more control that way? Maybe use some fatty meat scraps, brown very well, then add some broth or stock & simmer for awhile to make a beefier stock. This can be done while roast is cooking, or even ahead. Then use the actual fat drippings from the roast to make a roux, deglaze the roasting pan to get what you can from it in terms of flavor & add that to your simmered broth. Make the gravy with the roux & broth. I do this with turkey thighs at Thanksgiving, as we fry our turkey, so there's no drippings for gravy

Sam
Sam

Thanks so much!

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

This is a bacon-y brown gravy—but if you use beef stock instead of turkey stock, I think it would work perfectly with a rib roast! https://food52.com/recipes...

Sam
Sam

That looks great. Thank you!