What is in Ras el hanout? And where can I find it?

This was in a grain bowl recipe I enjoyed and am wondering how to get it.

asked by Carol 6 months ago

Lost_in_NYC

Its a Moroccan spice blend used in their recipes that gives a nice earthy taste profile. I believe you can find it at Whole Foods in their spice section or you can find it at other reliable spice merchants online or you can even make it yourself. You can Goggle a few options to find one version that you might like.

Carol

Thank you so much. Appreciate the info. Think I will try and make my own as I don’t live near Whole Foods store or specialty markets. Loved the flavor! Thanks again!!

Further to Lost in NYC...literally means "top of the shop" and there are as many versions as there are cooks.
For making at home, I favor recipes by Kitty Morse, Anna Sortun and/or Paula Wolfert...each of whom has expertise in this regional cooking.
For shopping, in addition to Whole Foods, look at:
1) local Indian grocery stores...often have good, inexpensive blends of not-just-Indian spices
2) on line merchants, with several discussed & evaluated in this Hotline thread
https://food52.com/hotline...