🔕 🔔

Can I mix rice of different grains and cook them together?

I'm making a simple pork and rice bowl for dinner tonight, and am trying to use up some leftover uncooked rice. I have a little medium grain rice, and a little long grain rice. What would happen if I combine them and then cook them together?

asked by Hollie O'Connor almost 2 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

As long as they are both white or both brown rice then mixing them together will be fine. But I wouldn't mix together a white and brown rice because their cooking times differ

E0267474 18c8 4a7b b702 edf03e4948a0  open uri20141007 6262 grax8u

Thank you!

76d68cff a14b 4828 aa24 0b8c3ceb2a05  fb avatar

You can, and it's a fun experiment to try. You could be scientific about it and add the rice to the mixture in stages (based on varying recommended cooking times per grain) or you could just go with the longest cooking time and expect the faster cooking grains to blend in and add a creamy consistency. Check out this article for a quinoa/rice mixing
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Agree with Monita.
When I have this problem, I cook each rice or grain separately, then combine them in main dish, where the contrast often works to make the dish more interesting.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I do it all the time. My old rice cooker handled it really well, my new model not so much.

Works fine as long as the cooking times are similar. White and brown rice - for instance - wouldn't work well because the brown rice takes at least twice the time that white rice does.
One of my favorite combinations is brown and wild rice. I like to make a one dish dinner with those - making a pilau of the rices with onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms, then adding sauteed chicken livers a few minutes before serving. Now I'm hungry! ;)