A question about a recipe: Susan Miglore's Fudgy Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake

558e2af0 d1b1 4f2c 9463 569da51ac0d8  2018 0501 chocolate cream cheese ribbon cake 3x2 bobbi lin 8594

I have a question about the recipe "Susan Miglore's Fudgy Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake" from Genius Recipes. I thought you only use baking soda when you use buttermilk so why is it baking soda not baking powder

asked by Diana Vanola Deshefy 7 months ago

Baking soda reacts with anything acidic, not just buttermilk (though that's a good one!)—in this cake, it's mostly the cocoa powder.

To add to @Kristen Miglore's response,
the natural cocoa used in this recipe is not dutch-processed, so it is acidic. That's why the baking soda is used in this recipe. If this recipe had used dutch-processed cocoa then it would have needed the baking powder for leavening since DP cocoa is neutral and the baking soda (a base) would have no acid to react and create leavening for the cake.