Baking cake on top rack

I just made marcella hazan's walnut cake. it says to bake for 45 min.s on the top 1/3. i had baked it before and was satisfied with only 20 mins. today i tested it at 15. it was done, but the most inner part fell apart so i will go with 20 mins. (i cooled it in the pan for about 20 mins). curious as to why the baking time is half what i was told it should be and why the directions are to bake on the top third which is contrary to other baking

asked by alng4768 about 1 month ago

Emmie
added about 1 month ago

It's possible that your oven runs hot. Do you have an oven thermometer? As for why it uses the top third, I haven't seen the recipe, but perhaps it wants more of a crust on top.