Do you serve a separate dessert at brunch?

I usually put out a mix of sweet and savory dishes including some fruit scones but always wonder whether I should also serve a dessert. What's customary? Thank you!

asked by Corj 12 days ago

Brunch, as one of the least structured meals of the week, has few shoulds.
Also, they range from casual and small to fancy and large.
For the casual and small, do what you and your guests like. With dishes like scones, perhaps, fruit salad, waffles and/or pancakes already included, there is no need for a separate dessert.
If you have a larger, fancier brunch, perhaps for a celebration or a family occasion, maybe present two buffet tables at the same time, one for savory and one for sweet dishes. That way people can have what they want, when they are ready for it. And/or concentrate on the one table that has more of what they like.
Last, have a look at cookbooks or online for brunch menus, from writers or chefs whose work you like. Food Network (love it or hate it) also has a selection of brunch dishes from its cooks/shows.

If you don't have a sweet dish at your brunch table, then add a dessert. For me (who is more inclined to have savory for brunch), sticky buns and sweeter scones (like maple glazed, actually any glazed scone) are dessert. I don't it is obligatory to have dessert at brunch. Sounds like you have a rather good selection of sweet and savory, so don't sweat it.

Lost_in_NYC

If you want to go the dessert route (who doesn't love something sweet to cap off a nice meal!) than maybe have a small selection of cookies/pastries/whatever fits your theme. I doubt you need to go all out on the dessert if the brunch meal was hearty enough. Something small should suffice.