How in blue blazes does a person bake with fresh strawberries/ raspberries and NOT have them vanish into a lavender wet spot?

baking with fresh berries.

creamtea July 3, 2018

Well, they do sort of form blue blazes when you bake with them, don't they?
You can stir berries into the batter gently at the very end of mixing or dot them on top after you have poured the batter into the pan. They'll sink in as the batter bakes. With delicate berries (blue, rasp) you don't want to stir them too much or they'll tint the batter. But to some extent I think they'll all break down in baking to some extent and form a (hopefully flavorful and juicy) "lavender (or pink or ruby) wet spot". Perhaps you could link to the recipe you followed?

BerryBaby July 3, 2018

Depends on what you are making. What was the recipe?

Miss Karen
Miss Karen July 3, 2018
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/04/27/glazed-strawberry-bread/
Smaug July 3, 2018

You could make a tart; Maida Heatter (of course) has a terrific recipe for a strawberry tart in her "New Book of Great Desserts); whole strawberries are set in a translucent strawberry puree, a beautiful presentation. I've made it with raspberry puree and it was delicious. I've also come across similar tarts topped with sliced berries. Of course you aren't baking the berries.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen July 3, 2018

Thanks Smaug. I'm going to have to invest in MH's book. You reference it frequently...I know that if the berries are tossed with flour that keeps them from sinking. I'm just weary of the vanishing act.😒

Smaug July 4, 2018

'tis true- when I was first getting serious about cooking in my college years, Mme. Heatter's first book was the one that convinced me the potential in cookbooks- previous experiences had largely involved Betty Crocker and that crowd. A zillion dessert books later, hers are still the ones I rely on most; I've yet to encounter anyone who can match her skill at writing a recipe.

Emily
Emily July 9, 2018

I've never found that the flour-tossing does much at all. Personally, I think the gooey berry spots are the best. But you could look for a recipe with thicker batter that supports the berries; some of the thinner cake batter allows them to sink and disintegrate. Coffee cakes with a higher ratio of flour to liquid are a good option, as are some quick breads. Or embrace the wet spots and make a cobbler or clafoutis!

Miss Karen
Miss Karen July 12, 2018

It isn't a question of them sinking, it's about the whole vanishing act. The only way to know they we're even there is the residual discoloration & wet spot.