🔕 🔔

Raspberry Pie in ... December?!

Hello! For reasons I have no control over, I have been commissioned to bake raspberry pie. Yes, in December, in the Northern Hemisphere.

Now, I was considering making a raspberries-suspended-in-custard pie (such as the tempting recipe for Raspberry Swamp Pie on this website) but I'd like this to be immediately recognizable as a sort of classic fruit-filled pie.

However, I'm reluctant to just stuff a pie crust full of frozen raspberries, or to pay for a lot of out-of-season fresh berries. I'm thinking of maybe a chocolate or cream cheese layer, with plenty of raspberry filling on top to virtuously signal its identity? Does anyone have any creative ideas?

Aaand... no. This isn't for Thanksgiving (and thank goodness for that!)

asked by paczryk 25 days ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

My first choice if I were in your situation would be to go with high-quality frozen berries for the filling. It will get cooked anyhow.

If you are so inclined, you might do a test pie in advance.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but since you already mentioned cream cheese, see if this fits the bill.
It's a great (unusual) cheesecake, with a savory hit of blue cheese. Topping in original is a rhubarb-port compote, which you could replace with a raspberry compote (spiked with orange or almond liqueur).
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/stilton-cheesecake-with-rhubarb-compote-103409

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Would classic fruit tart work? Technically I guess it'd be filled with pastry cream, but you could top it with lots of fresh raspberries (and probably use less berries than if you cooked/baked them for filling a regular pie). It would still be decidedly summery though :/

Along the same lines, I think your chocolate pie/raspberry idea (again either fresh or cooked berries) sounds good. I'm not sure how the cream cheese layer would look though, I'm probably missing something though and thinking of something like cheesecake.

But if you did want an classic, fruit filled pie I don't think there's a problem with using frozen berries - either way the fruit get cooked in regular pies!

16eaa9f5 3433 4891 a01d cee141dad128  52teas

Thanks! I saw some intriguing recipes for pies with fruit on top of a creme fraiche layer - along the lines of this one: https://smittenkitchen... and was wondering if it might work with frozen berries, or if it'd end up too runny.

C3530c17 ce9c 45b2 9755 cac310550f38  pi day 2015

Chocolate cookie crust, dark chocolate filling with some Chambord in it, and a top layer of raspberries cooked with a bit of sugar and a little orange peel and a bit of cornstarch/tapioca starch to thicken it