Going to Washington DC in August, looking for recommendations for restaurants

Restaurants in DC around White House area

• Posted by: Nan
  • July 7, 2018

rpenovich
rpenovich July 7, 2018

Hi Nan, are you looking for restaurant recs within 4 blocks of White House/Pennsylvania Avenue or beyond? Lunch or dinner? Fancy or casual? Foodie or trend-forward or traditional? We live 12 miles outside of DC and dine in town often; we're lucky to have so many choices here. Share some of your perameters and I'm sure Food52 DC residents will chime in!

Nan
Nan July 8, 2018

Hi Rpenovich, yes within a fair distance of the White House breakfast lunch and or dinner. We will have our 2 grandchildren 9 and 11 years old. Casual I was checking out a restaurant called Half Smoke just for the fancy Shakes for the kids. Appreciate your help!

rpenovich
rpenovich July 8, 2018

Hi Nan, Half Smoke is in the Shaw neigborhood near Howard University which is a great area for restaurants right now--lots of new ones to choose from. Haven't been to Half Smoke but their menu looks great and the "half smoke" sausage is considered a true DC food. Within walking distance from the White House is Central Michel Richard which has great food, bistro style and is bustling (loud.) They have a special dessert which comes with a sparkler and always delights diners (I think your grandkids would get a kick out of that.) Ask the hostess when you book. Old Ebbitt Grill is another DC institution and is walking distance from the White House. People go there for their oyster bar and the view of the Executive Office building but they do burgers and other American-style fare well. You have a lot of options in Washington! Check out Tom Sietsema's reviews and dining guides in the Washington Post online and he'll steer you right.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G July 8, 2018

You cannot go wrong with Old Ebbitt. Great for all ages.