A question about a recipe: Salmorejo Cordobés

6d78bbea 230d 4228 a7b7 eba56c1a8d7b  2018 0619 salmorejo cordobes 3x2 mark weinberg 0226

I have a question about the recipe "Salmorejo Cordobés" from Caitlin Gunther Raux. Could you make this with high quality canned tomatoes?

asked by linzarella 9 days ago

Community Editor at Food52

When it's not tomato season, I certainly think it'd be worth giving it a go!

1071292522

The answer to this one is "it depends on your taste."

For sure, it will be edible.

That said, I have never been satisfied by a dish made with canned tomatoes that was originally intended to be made with fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes at the height of the tomato season.

Sure, if the raw tomatoes are to be cooked, it far easier to replicate the same result with canned tomatoes (which are cooked), but I find that canned tomatoes always have that cooked flavor. Often, there is often a tinny canned note that can be reduced by cooking the canned tomatoes.

In summary, I don't try to replace fresh in-season tomatoes in a dish meant to serve raw (uncooked) tomatoes with canned tomatoes. I'll use canned tomatoes when the dish specifically calls for the tomatoes to be cooked.

But that's just me...

The real answer is for you to make the dish with canned tomatoes and see how much you like it.

Best of luck.

linzarella

I ended up making this with canned san marzano tomatoes that I usually keep on hand for tomato sauce (the heirloom tomatoes I bought from whole foods were awful so I needed a back up!). It came out FANTASTIC. I'm sure it's even better with fresh, height of the season tomatoes, but that shouldn't stop anyone from making it who doesn't have them. It was really so, so good even with canned tomatoes.

Community Editor at Food52

Oh wonderful, so happy to hear it was a hit! Thanks for reporting back!