I made vegetable stock with purple cabbage and now it’s bitter - salvageable? If yes, how? Thank you!

I am vegetarian and gluten free so please offer solutions without meat or wheat if possible! Thank you

asked by Katherine 3 months ago

Katherine

There are other vegetable scraps in there too! The cabbage is definitely what’s making it bitter though, first time I’ve made stock including it and it turned out purple and bitter

Some carrots will sweeten it up nicely.

And now that I think of it, a couple of sweet onions would do well. Although your present stock is bitter, I imagine the color is glorious.

Ttrockwood

Assuming you already removed the cabbage from the stock- you can add an apple or two depends how big your batch is, cut into large chunks and let simmer then taste.
Generally any cruciferous veg isn’t a good idea for stock.

Katherine
added about 2 months ago

Thank you!

added about 2 months ago

I'm curious if others use cruciferous vegetables in stocks. I never have- always thought that the sulfur they contain would be a bad actor in a stock.