A question about a recipe: Peanut Butter Peppermint Chip Cookies

8b9a1f01 c5df 4856 9549 50dffced5ade  2017 1121 peanut butter peppermint cookie 3x2 mark weinberg 0011

I have a question about the recipe "Peanut Butter Peppermint Chip Cookies" from Elettra Wiedemann. why no flour????

asked by Camilla Lyon Krueger about 2 months ago

Ted
Ted
added about 2 months ago

Ideally you'd ask the person who posted the recipe.

Not sure from the wording of our question whether you're wondering how the recipe works without flour, or whether the flour has been omitted from the recipe in error.

No-flour peanut butter cookies have been around for a while. They're typically peanut butter, sugar, and an egg. (Google will help you find plenty of those recipes.)

So it could be that this recipe is based that idea, but again ask the person who posted the recipe to be sure.

I have no idea how the no-flour recipe works without flour. Perhaps others with better baking knowledge than I can answer this.

Lori Terwilliger
added about 2 months ago

Although we generally don't think of anything other than wheat in regards to flour, the term can actually be applied to anything which is ground to a fine powder. Peanut butter is merely a peanut ground into such a fine powder, held together by virtue of the peanut oil and often other neutral oils. Actual peanut flour can be purchased, and is often used in some African cuisines to both flavor and thicken things. This particular recipe capitalizes on the use of peanuts as a flour, and with the addition of the egg, creates a thick gluten free cookie batter, no wheat flour needed. Baking sets the proteins of the egg, holding everything together, and you end up with a nice cookie. I know, it sounds crazy. But it works and you should really give it a try.

Camilla Lyon Krueger
added about 2 months ago

Thanks so much! That was really informative. I have used recipes for nearly flourless chocolate tortes which used a lot of eggs, but never tried the same idea for cookies. I will definitely try this one (when it isn't 90+ degrees outside).