Leaf gelatin substitute

I got my hands on blueberry mousse cheesecake's recipe. It used leaf gelatine but I only got powder gelatine with me. How much water is needed to dissolve 5g & 2g of powder gelatin? I put 1/4 cup of water to dissolve 5g of powder gelatine and my mousse cake turned out to be gooey after 10 mins out of the fridge.

asked by Azielahaneem 21 days ago

Stephanie B.

Maybe try more gelatin? Powdered gelatin is what's most commonly found in the US, and each packet usually contains about 7g. 1/4c water to bloom the gelatin sounds reasonable to me. There's a few things that could be going on, from the type of gelatin (what animal it came from), to the ingredients in the cake. Here's a good article that goes into some things that can mess with gelatin: https://www.seriouseats... Hope that helps!

Azielahaneem

Thanks Stephanie B.
One thing for sure, strong smell emanating from the gelatine when I dissolved it in the warm water. Is it normal?