Leaf gelatin substitute

I got my hands on blueberry mousse cheesecake's recipe. It used leaf gelatine but I only got powder gelatine with me. How much water is needed to dissolve 5g & 2g of powder gelatin? I put 1/4 cup of water to dissolve 5g of powder gelatine and my mousse cake turned out to be gooey after 10 mins out of the fridge.

1 Comment

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. August 31, 2018

Maybe try more gelatin? Powdered gelatin is what's most commonly found in the US, and each packet usually contains about 7g. 1/4c water to bloom the gelatin sounds reasonable to me. There's a few things that could be going on, from the type of gelatin (what animal it came from), to the ingredients in the cake. Here's a good article that goes into some things that can mess with gelatin: https://www.seriouseats... Hope that helps!

Azielahaneem
Azielahaneem September 2, 2018

Thanks Stephanie B.
One thing for sure, strong smell emanating from the gelatine when I dissolved it in the warm water. Is it normal?