A question about a recipe: Chuck Roast Bolognese

I have a question about the recipe "Chuck Roast Bolognese" from thirschfeld. This looks like it was cooked in an iron skillet... will the acid from the tomatoes ruin the season? I’ve read not to cook acidic things on my skillet.

17757ad8 40f6 44c3 a22a 1b313a2a7ce2  2018 0717 chuck roast bolognese 3x2 rocky luten 023
Recipe question for: Chuck Roast Bolognese

Nancy September 5, 2018

You may cook in cast iron with acid (tomatoes in this case) as long as it's for a relatively short time or small amount (both conditions fulfilled here). In such a case, the iron and acid react and leave some iron in the dish (a benefit). Be sure to remove the leftovers of acidic dish from cast iron pan for storage. Wipe or oil your pan as needed.
Do not cook acid a long time or large amount in case iron.
That said, you could make this dish in a nonreactive pan (enamel, arainless steel, etc) if you prefer.

Nancy September 5, 2018

Sorry for slips near the end
Cast (not case) iron
Stainless (not arainless) steel.

Smaug September 6, 2018

Kind of odd, actually- the instructions call for a saute pan with a lid, the pictures are of a cast iron skillet with two spouts that would be pretty difficult to find a well fitting lid for. I doubt it would damage your skillet, but the saute pan really seems to make more sense.

702551
702551 September 6, 2018

The sides of the skillet pan in the photo are pristine, nothing like a pan that would have been crusted and splattered from the whole cooking process.

My guess is that the contents of the cooking pan were dumped into the skillet pan for the photograph.

Why the stylist chose a cast iron skillet is a mystery but this was not the pan that the food was cooked in.

I would probably cook this in my enameled Dutch oven, not one of my many cast iron and carbon steel skillets.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld September 6, 2018

I use sinless Steele all the time for this recipe. Use what you feel comfortable with