🔕 🔔

What has been your experience with freezing heavy (whipping) cream?

I know it's "safe" to do but does it change the viscosity or ability to whip up nicely to soft peaks or more?

asked by Angela @ the well-worn apron over 6 years ago

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I've done it before and always find that when it defrosts mine is often sort of separated and has a slightly funny consistency. It has still worked perfectly fine in sauces, but I can't say that I have ever tried to whip cream that has been frozen. I'm guessing it won't work quite as well.

fiveandspice is correct. Whipping it will be disappointing. Once you've effectively separated the water by freezing, you'll be wondering what you were thinking.

Hmm...if after thawing the cream you find it has seperated as boulangere has stated could it be brought back like a broken creme sauce by adding just a little more cream.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

Yes, according to Harold McGee milkfat globules, which form the structure of the bubbles in whipped cream, can be punctured by jagged crystals when the water component of cream freezes.

357b354b 4c02 43ad 8664 b674194054ea  me.pie.cookbooks

prettyPeas ... is Harold McGee saying "Yes, I can still whip" because I'm not sure how "jagged crystals" effect whipping. Clearly I need to learn more about kitchen chemistry. thanks.

This piqued my interest so overnight I put some in the freezer in a shallow pan and pulled it out this morning and let thaw at room temp (not planning on using) for a couple of hours. I just tried to whip it and the result was not good. So yes, you can freeze it. Use it for things other than whipping and you'll be ok.

Thanks for follow up ChefDaddy.