Our little rice cooker in a *new* rosy red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Whipped Cream Curdles Before it Thickens

I'm making whipped cream with white chocolate. Melted, cooled white chocolate + heavy whipping cream + vanilla extract + powdered sugar + a pinch of salt. Worked fine last weekend, but now I'm having troubles. It's slightly thickened (like thick cream, but not close to soft peaks), but curdled. I tried adding more cream and refrigerating it before whipping it more (in both cases), but neither helped.

asked by Heather | Delicious Not Gorgeous 4 months ago
50e6ebd3 b4c9 4d51 bd5e 1163afa4ba06  2013wreath

If you add a tablespoon of cream at a time and use a wire whisk to incorporate. After about 6 tablespoons try whipping it again with the mixer. If it doesn't work, then sorry to say it has separated beyond repair. Always shake the container before using to be sure the fat is mixed in. I have found that this helps.

De430b43 7c12 4ac1 a36b 5bca14d377a1  me molly

Haha, yeah definitely tried adding more cream and re-whipping (multiple times). Thanks though!

White chocolate can be an absolute nightmare to work with. Be very careful when you melt it. Too hot and it will seize.

Also, it is frustrating, but white chocolate can be much different with each batch. I had a little dessert business and made a mocha torte with 3 different mousses layered. It worked beautifully for 2 years. I had so much trouble with the white layer all of a sudden that I scrapped the dessert completely.

Are you gently folding the whipped cream into the melted and cooled chocolate?

Oh yes, I TOTALLY blamed the chocolate. :)

Mine was more of a mousse, but here's Alice Medrich's version of a whipped ganache like you are describing. Maybe you'll see something in hers that will help.

https://food52.com/recipes...

Ugh that sounds so frustrating! At least you can blame it on the chocolate (;

I melted the white chocolate with a bit of cream, mixed until smooth, chilled it, then added more cream and tried to whip.