Best healthy recipe to cook ahead and freeze for bringing to a new mom?

My sister in law is due any day now and I'd love to help by bringing over a complete meal that all she has to do is thaw and heat! Any tried & true winners out there?

asked by Lauren 2 months ago

Maybe a combination or crossover of things she likes and those recommended for new mothers, like beef and salmon.
See webmd and similar sites for reommended foods

Salad...with a variety of vegetables and different greens. A bottle (or homemade) dressing on the side, loaf of fresh crusty bread and a dessert...maybe lemon bars?

alygator

What about a beef stew or onion soup? You can give her little ciabatta rolls to also free and serve alongside each?

I was going to suggest soup too. Had a wonderful butternut squash soup the other day.

Make stews. But the trick is to package them correctly.
Use a meatloaf pan and line it with plastic wrap and freeze the stew in to "Stew Ingots"...which can be easily defrosted for meals.

You can do the same with pasta with noodles. Big ol brick of stuff to be easily thawed in the microwave or stovetop.

While it's not a food related thing. When she gives birth...go to the local bookstore/news stand and get newspapers, and magazine. All types..Time/Newsweek/Home and Garden/Food magazines...etc.
Then go to https://catalog.usmint.gov/

By the time they're adults they'll be "WTF are this printed things, and COINS...where they like cavemen in 2018"
And get this years 'proof' set of coinage.

Megan

I second the suggestions for stews. When I was postpartum my husband made a very basic crock-pot beef stew that was super salty and beefy and it gave me LIFE those first few days. I also liked to have healthy-ish bran muffins around that I could grab and eat with one hand.

Alyssa

I'm a Minnesotan, so my mind jumped to hotdish! A pan of lasagna is freezable and comforting, or my mom used to make something like this beauty (with sliced chicken sausage added): https://whatsgabycooking.com/baked-ravioli-recipe/.

That with some homemade rolls or bread that can be frozen and thawed would be so cozy.

Matilda Luk
added about 2 months ago

When a friend had a baby, I made a huge batch of empanadas, flash-froze them, and placed them in some freezer bags, enough for several family dinners with leftovers. Easy as baking on a cookie sheet and eating with one hand (for whomever was holding the baby!).