🔕 🔔

Our wedding anniversary is coming up and I've promised Duck a la Orange for 15 years. Recipes? I've a butcher to order a fresh quack-quack.

74171f87 0a9b 4acb 86d7 b2cfbebc4855  orange tree cropped

My husband recently had a heart attack but suffered almost no damage to his heart. He is walking and involved in cardiac rehab...Fat and salt are, for once, not the issue here. He loves the idea of my making the orange sauce from our navels ripe on our tree.

asked by Lizthechef over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I have never made duck a l'orange, but I did find Julia Child's recipe for you:
http://www.cyber-kitchen...

I'm so happy that Larry is on the mend. Happy Anniversary! (And that is one gorgeous tree you have there!)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

So nice to have a happy occasion, and your tree looks beautiful. The Julia Child recipe that drbabs found for you looks pretty good to me. Lots of times, the orange sauce is too sweet, but this one, with the port looks really good. When you turn the heat down, you might want to turn it down a bit lower and plan on cooking it longer. I'm glad your butcher is getting you a fresh one, because that will make all the difference. Happy anniversary!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to say Happy Anniversary to you both! That tree almost makes me want to move to California. :)

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

How scary, I'm sure, but how lucky it turned out so well. May you have many more happy anniversaries in your future!

The very first time I cooked a duck, I followed Julia's detailed recipe. It was marvelous, and the leftovers sure impressed the heck out of my mother-in-law. It's a two-day recipe, however, and I think to make it only when I have a stay-at-home vacation. I substitute cornstarch for the arrowroot and I use lemon juice instead of the bitters I never have on hand. I use Cointreau and Grand Marnier interchangeably.

This recipe calls for less hands-on time than Julia's. I cook the duck breast longer (more on the medium-well side), and I leave out the thyme and peppercorns so that it's not so herb-y, and I sub Cointreau for the sherry vinegar.
http://www.saveur.com/article...

I think I'm the only person in the world who serves duck with rice instead of potatoes as suggested accompaniment.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

My mom made a delicious duck with green peppercorns and another with green grapes....and the accompaniment was always wild rice - so, you're not alone betteirene. (Actually, other than e.g., a confit, with potatoes cooked in the rendered fat, I always thought of rice as the classic pairing with duck.)