Troubleshooting Burgers

Hi all. After watching BA's Smash Burger video the other night I was craving them so thought I'd give it a go. I used grass fed ground beef from my CSA (which didn't have a fat ratio listed). I transferred the burgers from the pan directly to the buns and let them rest for a few minutes while I cooked the rest of the meat.
As I picked the burger up off the plate, juice rushed out of the meat. I know we all want a juicy burger but not before we bite into it, right? Did I do something wrong? The burgers tasted fine, I didn't think they were dry, but anything I can do to improve? Thanks!

asked by GourMel about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

Part of an answer...grass fed beef does have higher water content than other (see various sites on that kind of meat).
Suggestions- next time rest your cooked burgers a little longer & on a non-bun surface (plate or cutting board) before assembling with bun and toppings.

added about 1 month ago

PS the smash burger recipes or videos I've seen ask for ground chuck (with about 20% fat).
Make them that way at least once & then decide what kind of ground beef you want to use.

GourMel
added about 1 month ago

Thanks very much! Did not even think about water content.

added about 1 month ago

For the record, we don't all want a "juicy" burger.