I inadvertly left two packages of chicken on the counter overnight. It doesn't smell and I really hate to throw out so much chicken. Thoughts please.

Help!

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque October 17, 2018

Aw! Sorry that happened, Helen. Any chance the chicken frozen? If so, depending on how thawed/cold it was in the morning, it might still be okay. If not, I'd toss it...not worth getting sick!

alygator
alygator October 17, 2018

I would not eat it and I would never serve it to someone else. Sorry - I have done something similar and it is so frustrating! But ultimately not worth the risk.

Laura Carroll
Laura Carroll October 17, 2018

Definitely throw it away, salmonella (and other food born illnesses) don't necessarily have an odor.

cranberry
cranberry October 17, 2018

Did the chicken start the night frozen? Was it still pretty cold in the morning? If not, then bye-bye. Poultry or fish or ground meat, I'd never recommend eating if it was at room temp all night. A solid cut of red meat, though, I would consider.

denise milke
denise milke October 17, 2018

whenever in doubt , always throw out..!!!!
learned that from my mother.

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood October 18, 2018

Garbage immediately.
Think of it as paying someone the value of the chicken to NOT get really sick, potentially miss days of work and spend quality time with your bathroom and potentially urgent care.
And no, no matter how much or how long you cook it it will still not be safe.

Mendonoma
Mendonoma October 21, 2018

I agree that it is best to throw out the chicken but...how cold was your kitchen overnight?

Smaug October 21, 2018

Most cooks in most places in most times wouldn't dream of throwing it out unless there was some obvious problem, but most Americans today can afford to be cautious; probably best to do so.

PHIL
PHIL October 22, 2018

I would throw it out for sure but wondering if you cooked it in a soup would that kill any pathogens? Anybody know ?