I inadvertly left two packages of chicken on the counter overnight. It doesn't smell and I really hate to throw out so much chicken. Thoughts please.

Help!

asked by Helen Drezner about 1 month ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

added about 1 month ago

Aw! Sorry that happened, Helen. Any chance the chicken frozen? If so, depending on how thawed/cold it was in the morning, it might still be okay. If not, I'd toss it...not worth getting sick!

alygator
added about 1 month ago

I would not eat it and I would never serve it to someone else. Sorry - I have done something similar and it is so frustrating! But ultimately not worth the risk.

Laura Carroll
added about 1 month ago

Definitely throw it away, salmonella (and other food born illnesses) don't necessarily have an odor.

cranberry
added about 1 month ago

Did the chicken start the night frozen? Was it still pretty cold in the morning? If not, then bye-bye. Poultry or fish or ground meat, I'd never recommend eating if it was at room temp all night. A solid cut of red meat, though, I would consider.

denise milke
added about 1 month ago

whenever in doubt , always throw out..!!!!
learned that from my mother.

Ttrockwood
added about 1 month ago

Garbage immediately.
Think of it as paying someone the value of the chicken to NOT get really sick, potentially miss days of work and spend quality time with your bathroom and potentially urgent care.
And no, no matter how much or how long you cook it it will still not be safe.

Mendonoma

I agree that it is best to throw out the chicken but...how cold was your kitchen overnight?

Most cooks in most places in most times wouldn't dream of throwing it out unless there was some obvious problem, but most Americans today can afford to be cautious; probably best to do so.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I would throw it out for sure but wondering if you cooked it in a soup would that kill any pathogens? Anybody know ?