Ideas for a slightly interesting couscous or Israeli couscous recipe that will still appeal to "boring" eaters?

asked by allie about 8 years ago

Yetiking

This month's food network mag has something that looks pretty good - Spiced couscous with chicken (http://bit.ly/aBtGKQ). Basically couscous, cinnamon, raisins, almonds, etc. - but it should be tasty and pretty "normal."

ellenl

Yes-- Internet Cooking Princess' Summer Squash Couscous with Sultanas, Pistachios, and Mint is totally delicious. I've made it a few times to rave reviews, even took it to a housewarming of boring eaters/cooks and they loved it. Search on food52 for other great couscous dishes.

favoritesweets

Lightly toast the Israeli Couscous in a pot with some olive oil so it browns. Saute a diced onion and then add to the pot with the Israeli couscous and enough chicken broth to cover the couscous (Make sure to simmer the broth before adding it to the Couscous). Add salt and pepper (red pepper flakes work well also). Once absorbed, add a little more broth until that is almost absorbed and add chopped sugar snap peas and mix in. You can lightly saute them beforehand or let them cook in the couscous.

Bevi

To the above recipe, you might want to add golden raisins or currants, some toasted pine nuts or sliced almonds, and a little chopped mint.

allie

Thank you -- I think I will make something like favoritesweets suggests, but swap the onion for shallot and add cinamon sticks and bay leaves to it while cooking & add pinenuts (a tweaked version of a gourmet recipe).

I don't understand what "slightly interesting" means. Couscous, Israeli couscous, or fregola grassa (Sardinian) can be the platform for a full throttle meal such as a lamb or chicken tagine. Throw some snails in, clams, garlic, harissa. Couscous is the canvas. Paint it!

aliyaleekong

I know couscous is thought of as savoury, but in parts of North Africa, it is sweetened and made into dessert. That inspired me to create a recipe for Sweet Apple Couscous. Think apple pie meets couscous! I have it up here, and here's the external link: http://www.aliyaleekong.com/sweet-apple-couscous/

Sally

The internet cooking princess posted a great recipe on this site. It is delicious and not at all challenging to persnickety eaters.