Christmas Cake

I have a friend who has moved to Japan and she is wondering if she can make Christmas Cake with coconut oil. Does anyone know if that would work?

asked by Michelle 8 days ago

Z
Z

I've had good success using coconut oil instead of butter in cakes, squares and brownies. It should work fine in Christmas Cake - and the spice would mask the coconut taste that is always present when using coconut oil.

Michelle

Yes, I use coconut oil in carrot cake and wherever else I can. It's just that Christmas cake is made weeks in advance and left in the dark to get really good until Christmas. I wonder if the coconut oil would get rancid. I am pretty sure brandy is one of the ingredients so maybe that and all the sugar involved would keep anything from going bad.