What to use to grease cake pans when making a vegan cake? Also cannot use soy-containing products

I am making a vegan birthday layer cake for a friend with the following dietary restrictions: no dairy, no eggs, no soy, no peanuts. I do need to grease and flour cake pans, but I can't find any information on what I can use to grease the pans with. Butter, margarine, and shortening are out of the question. I have used oil before, but that was not good. Alternatively, I guess if anyone knows of a brand of margarine or shortening that doesn't use soybean oil, that would work too. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

hardlikearmour April 28, 2015

My choice would be coconut oil.

drshakyhands
drshakyhands April 28, 2015

I pretty much always use coconut oil. Works like a charm.

jilhil
jilhil April 28, 2015

Most of the vegan cake recipes I use call for lining the pan with parchment paper then oiling it. I just use a neutral tasting vegetable oil.

Nancy April 28, 2015

or olive oil.
BTW, how did oil not work in the past?

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend April 28, 2015

I did not like the texture it gave to the cake--very crunchy

Nancy April 28, 2015

To avoid crispiness:
Jilhil's parchment paper idea
use less oil
use non stick pan still greasing it with smaller amounts of oil ablnd flour
bake at slightly lower temp (25-50 degrees F) than recipe calls for and for as long as it needs to have tester come out clean

creamtea April 28, 2015

I have used coconut, safflower or olive oil with a dusting of flour plus a natural parchment liner. Could the crunchy crust have come from the type of pan you are using?

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend April 28, 2015

I will try oil again. The crunchy crust was a while ago when I was still a novice baker. I hope I have learned a thing or two in the past couple of decades :) Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas!

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve April 29, 2015

Earth balance makes a soy free/dairy free margarine, you can find it at places like whole foods. Also, spectrum organic has a natural shortening that is made from (sustainable) palm oil so that might be a good option. Oil usually works for greasing baking pans but I have good success with the options above as well.

jessicamclement
jessicamclement May 4, 2015

parchment paper should be perfect! ... just put a little oil on before so that it sticks well to the pan before lining it with parchment paper. i have also had a lot of luck with coconut oil.