What to use to grease cake pans when making a vegan cake? Also cannot use soy-containing products

I am making a vegan birthday layer cake for a friend with the following dietary restrictions: no dairy, no eggs, no soy, no peanuts. I do need to grease and flour cake pans, but I can't find any information on what I can use to grease the pans with. Butter, margarine, and shortening are out of the question. I have used oil before, but that was not good. Alternatively, I guess if anyone knows of a brand of margarine or shortening that doesn't use soybean oil, that would work too. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

asked by Garlic Fiend over 3 years ago

My choice would be coconut oil.

drshakyhands

I pretty much always use coconut oil. Works like a charm.

jilhil

Most of the vegan cake recipes I use call for lining the pan with parchment paper then oiling it. I just use a neutral tasting vegetable oil.

or olive oil.
BTW, how did oil not work in the past?

Garlic Fiend

I did not like the texture it gave to the cake--very crunchy

To avoid crispiness:
Jilhil's parchment paper idea
use less oil
use non stick pan still greasing it with smaller amounts of oil ablnd flour
bake at slightly lower temp (25-50 degrees F) than recipe calls for and for as long as it needs to have tester come out clean

I have used coconut, safflower or olive oil with a dusting of flour plus a natural parchment liner. Could the crunchy crust have come from the type of pan you are using?

Garlic Fiend

I will try oil again. The crunchy crust was a while ago when I was still a novice baker. I hope I have learned a thing or two in the past couple of decades :) Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas!

Couldn't Be Parve

Earth balance makes a soy free/dairy free margarine, you can find it at places like whole foods. Also, spectrum organic has a natural shortening that is made from (sustainable) palm oil so that might be a good option. Oil usually works for greasing baking pans but I have good success with the options above as well.

jessicamclement

parchment paper should be perfect! ... just put a little oil on before so that it sticks well to the pan before lining it with parchment paper. i have also had a lot of luck with coconut oil.