What is the best store bought puff pastry sheet?

I am making the wildly interesting arugula wild mushroom tart and not sure I'll have time to make the crust

Smaug November 8, 2018

The pate brise is pretty fast- faster than going out puff pastry shopping- and will make a totally different crust. For what it's worth, Pepperidge Farms is the only frozen puff pastry my grocer carries; it works well, but contains no butter and doesn't really have much flavor.

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner November 8, 2018

Hi Claire! We like Dufour. Many grocers have it, it also seems to be available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Puff-Pastry-Dough-frozen/dp/B003YHKKCO?tag=food52-20

Dona
Dona November 9, 2018

Trader Joe’s has an all butter puff pastry that’s really good. And a great price.

SMSF
SMSF November 9, 2018

Dona, so glad to see you vouch for the TJ's puff pastry. It's a new item that I planned to try this fall and now I definitely will!

Happygoin
Happygoin November 10, 2018

I’ll add my thanks too, Dona. I’ve only ever used Dufour or made my own. Dufour is expensive, and sometimes you just don’t Feel like making puff pastry. I’ll def try TJ’s.

Michele
Michele November 10, 2018

Definitely Dufour. While a bit expensive it is wonderful to work with and the results are always excellent.

tmcouts
tmcouts November 15, 2018

I have bought PF puff dough and brought it home to find a shattered mess when I opened it. Don't know if that is a problem with other brands, but puff dough is a brittle product subject to mishandling during transit (not only consumer to store, but in the transportation cycle from production facility to store). I just learned to make my own. Even using the highest quality ingredients, its much less expensive than store bought and really isn't hard at all.

Happygoin
Happygoin November 15, 2018

Not hard at all...but it IS time-consuming.