The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

Best way to store mushrooms?

I bought mushrooms at the farmers' market, but won't be using them for a couple of days. What's the best way to store them until then?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked about 5 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

They need to breath without drying out or getting too moist. a loosly closed paperbag usually does the trick

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Is room temperature OK, or should I put the paper bag in the fridge? Thanks!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I'd put them in the fridge. (And I'm not usually much of a refrigeration person.)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Put them in a paper bag - not plastic - and keep cool or in fridge. Fridge will add a couple days. Best to shop daily for what you need daily.

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

You will notice that mushrooms in the grocery store are displayed in the open refrigeration case--they need to be cool, but not cold. If your kitchen is generally cool and you plan to use your mushrooms within the next day or two, keep them on the counter in a paper bag. If your kitchen is warm or very moist and you're not sure when you will use them, put them in the fridge.