🔕 🔔

Quiche are savory tarts

I want to make 2 quiche( or tarts) for my Sunday lunch group. I make a pretty tasty traditional bacon or ham and onion version. But when I have tried veggie versions (spinach/mushroom) they have come out kind of watered down tasting and boring. Any suggestions or recipes that amp up the flavor a bit? Does not need to be vegetarian, I just want to provide some variety. Quiche or tart recipes of interest but I will not be making any specialize crusts. Maybe the problem with my spinach/mushroom version was it was for a family member who hates onions. That restriction does not exist for this occasion.

asked by caninechef 4 months ago

that is suppose to be Quiche OR savory tarts...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Bland probably means under seasoned. Also, good advice from Jacques Pepin - every element of a recipe should be properly seasoned in itself, i.e., the veg component you saute before adding it to the batter.

Spinach needs to be very well 'wrung out' before being added to avoid being watery. I use a clean cloth or paper towel - when you think you've wrung it dry, keep going! For onions, I'd suggest chopping them smaller to blend/be hidden in the filling, rather than omitting - they deliver a lot of flavor.

I made David Lebovitz's Ham, Blue Cheese and Pear Quiche from 'My Paris Cookbook' over the holidays - unique and very rich, but huge flavor and delicious. If you have picky eaters, I think you could sub blue cheese with Gruyere or even white cheddar. He uses a 'special' tart pastry (with cornmeal) but it's not hard - and I think a regular (pate brisee) would work fine too, if you prefer that.

Better for late summer (north or south of the equator), I make a sort of ratatouille tart which is wonderful fresh from the oven or room temperature.
Like amysarah, I would suggest "cheese plus"...in my case, a mild cheese (swiss or gouda) with a strong green (broccoli, or whatever looks good in the market).
Last, a straight-up wonderful red onion tart. You make this as written, or adapt it to your basic quiche recipe.
http://www.deliaonline...

5fcfb7ff c208 4ae8 bc4e 1511d0ae330f  martini

Most veggies are primarily water, which can make a quiche watery. Make sure you cook veggies before adding to the custard to eliminate the water and concentrate the flavor. Sauteing the onions and mushrooms will solve the problem.

I sautéed the veggies before adding them to the quiche, that was not the problem. I do think AmySarah identified the issue with recommendation to season all components well. I did a test run last night by just sautéing a proposed filling blend, caramelized onions, spinach and cremini mushrooms. Well-seasoned with salt and pepper, garlic, and a hint of nutmeg. Then sautéed almost dry and finished with some parmesan and fontina cheeses. It was very tasty and I think had enough flavor to carry through in a quiche.

I did have a question about suggestion to wring out the spinach. It was fresh and dry before hitting the frying pan( added to caramelized onions), when exactly would I wring it out? Or is this pertinent if using frozen spinach? -- Thanks

The flavors in your sauteed veg's sound perfect for a quiche! (I always add a hit of nutmeg to quiche too.)

Yes, I meant wringing frozen spinach. For sauteed fresh, I'd cook it pretty dry, as you did. If it gives up too much liquid, and you're concerned about overcooking the rest, you can drain off a bit to hasten the process.

And/or you can steam fresh spinach until it collapses (reduces in volume), lwt cool until you can handle, drain and/or squeeze. At this point you can either add the spinach to a quiche custard mix directly, or saute and then add.