Apple Pie Base

If I make fresh pastry, roll it out and fit it to a pie bowl/base, will it be alright in the fridge for about 8/9 hours before cooking the pie? (trying to shorten the cooking time between meals)

asked by Amy 28 days ago

stefanie

If you're asking whether your uncooked, rolled-out pie crust can rest overnight (8-9 hr) in the fridge, the answer is yes. I'd also recommend wrapping it in plastic wrap to prevent it from picking up any fridge odors.

You'll have to be pretty careful about protecting the rim of your crust, otherwise no problem. You could freeze it too.

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Amy! You can fit pie dough into your pie pan and freeze it for days. Just wrap well with plastic or put in an airtight, freezer-friendly bag. (Depending on the recipe, you might need to par-bake the crust or bake the pie for longer.)