Where should one brine a turkey when refridgerator space is tight?

I have a 12 lb bird and my brine recipe makes just under 2 gallons of liquid.

asked by Kate 27 days ago

Brinda Ayer

Hi Kate, finding out an answer and will be back to you shortly!

Brinda Ayer

Hi Kate, if you don't have space in your fridge for a large pot, you can brine your turkey in a large oven roasting bag or jumbo zip-top bag, which allows you to surround the bird with liquid without needing a cumbersome vat. Do not use a trash bag (they aren't food-safe). For an added insurance policy against potential leaks (and if you have the space), put the bagged, brining turkey in the roasting pan you plan to use. Hope this helps—happy Thanksgiving!

Kate

This is super helpful! Thank you!!!!

MMH
MMH

I use the giant zip loc and put it in a cooler.

Alyssa

If you live in the right climate (i.e. Minnesota), outside is a refrigerator! We just stick things in the snow outside ;)

MMH
MMH

We live in Omaha and we have an enclosed porch. It’s our extra fridge (in addition to our beer fridge) at thangiving.