A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. I've read far down this blog and haven't seen anyone cover the breast. I have used heesecloth soaked in Olive oil and everything browns nicely. Is this unnecessary with dry brining?

asked by Patt 26 days ago

Brinda Ayer

Hi Patt, sorry for the delay! In this particular recipe, turning over the turkey so it gets some time to roast breast-side down, and the remaining time breast-side up, is what helps it brown evenly. I don't think a cheesecloth soaked in olive oil is necessary here, but you might want to take a look at some of the comments in the recipe for other community members who've done this successfully.

Hope this helps—happy Thanksgiving!

Patt

Thank you