Favorite Pecan Squares Recipe?

I would love a great, tried and true recipe for a 9 by 13 pan of pecan squares. The reviews on the recipe in the NYT I was going to try are scaring me off, saying they're too oily.

• Posted by: witloof
  • November 21, 2018

Erin Alexander
Erin Alexander November 21, 2018

Hi there! I'll confess I've never made pecan squares, but this recipe looks divine: https://food52.com/recipes... Also, in my opinion Ina can do no wrong, so I've gotta believe these are pretty delicious: https://www.foodnetwork...

witloof
witloof November 21, 2018

Thank you so much, Erin!

Smaug November 21, 2018

Maida Heatter has an astounding recipe (Pecan Squares Americana" in her "New Book of Great Desserts- it's written for a jelly roll pan (15 1/2x 10 1/2). I'm not comfortable posting someone else's recipe, but if you can dig it up (try googling it) it's a show stopper.

Smaug November 21, 2018

Pardon the punctuation.

witloof
witloof November 21, 2018

Thank you, Smaug, I found the recipe on someone's blog and it looks PERFECT. I love Maida Heatter!

Smaug November 22, 2018

Glad to hear it- that's a really great cookbook, by the way- highest recommendation if you're among the (apparent) minority that still believes in books.

witloof
witloof November 22, 2018

They're in the oven and I can already tell that they'll be a big hit. The only change I made was to substitute Lyle's for the honey.

You know, it's entirely possible that I have that book, I know I have several by Maida Heatter, but I have too many cookbooks to plow through to look for it!

Smaug November 22, 2018

I'm sure they'll be great, but if you like them you should try with honey some time- the combination of the honey with the lemon in the pastry really sets this apart from other pecan squares.

witloof
witloof November 22, 2018

They were a huge hit! One person thought they were from a bakery and another person told me I could make money by selling them. Thanks again.