convection and should I set the turkey out before cooking

If I have a wolf convection oven, should I use the convection? We have a 14 lb. turkey and I was going to cook it for about 3.5 hours at 350°. Best to use convection or not? And if so, when should I start checking? Should I let it sit out for an hour before cooking?

asked by marvistaranch 19 days ago

Azora Zoe Paknad
Azora Zoe Paknad

Zoe is an Account Executive at Food52.

Hi Marvistaranch! The convection oven will cook the turkey faster (about 30% faster!) than its oven counterpart, so it's your call based on the timing of when you'd like the turkey on the table. A turkey will cook more evenly if it goes into the oven at room temp, so letting it sit while you preheat the oven is a stellar idea! Might not need to be a full hour, but wouldn't hurt.