Thawing question

I've got an almost 13 lb frozen bird. I pulled it from the freezer Monday night and parked it in the refrigerator. This morning I pulled it and put it in a sink of cold water. Since the top part isn't submerged, I've been flipping it every 30 minutes and changing the water. How do I tell if it's thawed? Once it's thawed, what's the recommended time/temp to roast at?

1 Comment

Kristen Miglore November 22, 2018

Hi Tom, the best way is to get your hands in there :) Feel around to see if any parts of the flesh still seem stiff and icy. It sounds like you're on the right path! As for roasting, 325F at roughly 20 minutes per pound is a good basic rule of thumb if you don't have a recipe you're following, but the internal temperature is the most important indicator of whether the meat is cooked through. It should read 165F in the thickest parts. Here are more details on timing if you'd like to look at other options: https://food52.com/blog...

Tom DeYoung
Tom DeYoung November 22, 2018

Thanks! If it is still a bit frozen then what? If I’ve already removed it from the wrappings I really can’t put it back in the sink. Can I just roast for longer as long as I hit 165?

Kristen Miglore November 22, 2018

Personally, I actually would put it back in the sink to keep thawing (cleaning the sink really well before and after). The cold water getting into the cavity might be just the ticket to getting it to thaw faster.