I forgot to thaw my 14 lb smoked turkey!

The turkey is technically already cooked and just needs to be warmed thoroughly. I have 5 hours until dinner is supposed to be ready. Is it possible to get that large of a bird thawed & warmed in time? Thanks in advance!!

• Posted by: Jenna M.
  • November 22, 2018

Stephanie B. November 22, 2018
If it's wrapped, can you thaw in water instead of air thawing? As long as no water gets into your already cooked and smokey bird, I think it should be ok.

Jenna M. November 22, 2018
Thanks, Stephanie!

Eric K. November 22, 2018
In case you need this next year! https://food52.com/blog/9187-how-to-deal-if-you-forgot-to-thaw-the-turkey

Eric K. November 22, 2018
Hi Jenna, I'd think so! Sounds like it's just a matter of reheating like you would anything else. I'd cover it in foil and bake in a low oven, say 275°F, for an hour to an hour and a half (maybe longer), or until the internal temp is 165°F at the thickest part of the thigh. Hope that helps.

Jenna M. November 22, 2018
Hi Eric! Thanks so much!!! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Eric K. November 22, 2018
Hm, actually—I misread and see that your turkey is completely frozen—it will definitely take longer! But I think it should warm through by dinnertime. Let me know how it goes and good luck.

Jenna M. November 22, 2018
So after I replied, our issue got responded - we have two turkeys, & one DID make it to the fridge to thaw. Thanks so much for the help! I'm keeping all this in mind in case I forget at Christmas! Thanks again!

Eric K. November 22, 2018
Great to hear! Happy Thanksgiving!