I forgot to thaw my 14 lb smoked turkey!

The turkey is technically already cooked and just needs to be warmed thoroughly. I have 5 hours until dinner is supposed to be ready. Is it possible to get that large of a bird thawed & warmed in time? Thanks in advance!!

asked by Jenna M. 19 days ago

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Hi Jenna, I'd think so! Sounds like it's just a matter of reheating like you would anything else. I'd cover it in foil and bake in a low oven, say 275°F, for an hour to an hour and a half (maybe longer), or until the internal temp is 165°F at the thickest part of the thigh. Hope that helps.

Jenna M.

Hi Eric! Thanks so much!!! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Hm, actually—I misread and see that your turkey is completely frozen—it will definitely take longer! But I think it should warm through by dinnertime. Let me know how it goes and good luck.

Jenna M.

So after I replied, our issue got responded - we have two turkeys, & one DID make it to the fridge to thaw. Thanks so much for the help! I'm keeping all this in mind in case I forget at Christmas! Thanks again!

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Great to hear! Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie B.

If it's wrapped, can you thaw in water instead of air thawing? As long as no water gets into your already cooked and smokey bird, I think it should be ok.

Jenna M.

Thanks, Stephanie!

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

In case you need this next year! https://food52.com/blog...