Rolled cakes

I have tried and tried to make a rolled cake and no matter what I do it always cracks when I unrilk it, put the filling in and roll back up. I've followed hints from posts but still don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help

asked by Julie 13 days ago

What recipe have you tried? I've noticed with most recipes, a little cracking is normal and the key to minimizing cracking is to roll in a clean tea towel immediately after removing from the oven. Over-baking the cake can also contribute to the cracking, as this would dry out the cake and you need it be baked just right to keep that suppleness for rolling.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I always use a chiffon cake when I make rolled cakes and I never get cracking. You just need to make sure its not over baked or dry. It doesn't need to be rolled up while hot....just bake, cool, fill and roll.